The B.Com Professional (International Accounting and Finance) course of St. Joseph’s College of Commerce has been designed in collaboration with the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA), UK, to provide students with the unique opportunity to pursue their ACCA qualification in tandem with their under graduation. ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) is a global professional accounting body offering the Chartered Certified Accountant qualification, effective in over 178 countries. The curriculum framework and content of this course will facilitate students to conveniently pursue a career in International Finance and Accountancy. The course enables the students to obtain substantial fundamental knowledge of subjects like Accounting, Taxation, Law, Financial Reporting, Auditing, Risk Management, Corporate Governance, Management Accounting, Finance, Business Ethics and Cost Accounting. The B.Com Professional course is challenging and yet very rewarding to students with high career aspirations. The core subjects will be taught by experienced professionals from the industry as well as the profession, specialized in a relevant field.
Objectives of the Course
- To develop professional knowledge and skills in international Accounting, Finance, Auditing, Taxation, Risk Management etc. by adopting learner centered pedagogical practices.
- To equip students with the necessary tutoring required as per ACCA standards to enable them to effectively pursue the professional qualification.
- To inculcate a strong sense of ethics and corporate values, especially with regard to the accountability, transparency and responsibility of a professional in the business world.
- To provide students with the opportunity to play diverse financial roles at senior or advisory levels in any organization.
Mandatory outreach programs and social visits are conducted by the college in order to instill a sense of community and social awareness in the students. To complete the process of holistic education, industrial visits are organized by the college so as to expose the students to real life, hands on experiences of various industries.
- Due to the MOU between SJCC and ACCA, 6 out of 14 papers are subject to exemption. The first and second semesters are spent in equipping students with an understanding of these 6 papers, the following two years dedicated to the rest of the 8 subjects the students will be attempting with ACCA.
- The course syllabus has been effectively adapted to reflect the requirements of ACCA, which allows students to focus on one standardized study approach, so that, like any other professional course, the students will write their B.Com exams along with the ACCA papers.
- As an integrated program, all necessary coaching and training for the ACCA papers will be provided in college. Students are given intensive tutoring by trained internal faculty as well as regular mentoring from our learning partners.
- Consideration has been given to the timings of students to ensure that there are no clashes between ACCA exam schedules and college activities.
- Guest seminars, discussions and interactions are arranged with ACCA on an ongoing basis to keep our students up to date with any changes in the industry.
- Prior to ACCA exams, the college arranges for extensive 30 hour support programs as well as revision crash courses to enable students to get relevant aid from ACCA qualified trainers.
- ACCA and Oxford Brookes University have worked together to develop a BSc (Hons) Degree in Applied Accounting, which is available exclusively to ACCA students on completing their fundamental papers. Students are given an option to obtain an IFRS and Financial English certification from ISDC as well.
Ongoing lectures from ACCA professionals
Case studies from an international perspective
Seminars and presentations
Regular ‘Train the trainer’ programs
Panel discussions and symposium