In the context of today’s globalised economy, it has become increasingly important to develop an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the contemporary business environment and our B.Com course has been streamlined to reflect just that. Its aim is to construct a strong foundational grounding in core subjects such as Accounting, Taxation, Economics, Statistics, Auditing, along with a choice of Cost accounting, Finance, Marketing and Human Resources, studied in the fifth and sixth semester. The course is challenging, yet, rewarding for students with high aspirations. Our students have been sought after by employers for their excellent knowledge, skills and attitude, giving them an edge over their peers from other institutions. The B.Com course of the college is rated amongst the top 10 in the country. (India Today, AC Nielsen Survey 2016).
Objectives of the Course
- To provide conceptual knowledge and application skills in the domain of Commerce studies.
- To sharpen a students’ analytical and decision making skills.
- To provide a good foundation to students who plan to pursue professional courses like CA, ICWA, CFA, ACS and MBA.
- To facilitate students with skills and abilities to become competent and competitive to be assured of good careers and job placements.
- To develop entrepreneurship and managerial skills in students so as to enable them to establish and manage their business establishments effectively.
- To develop ethical business professionals with a broad understanding of business from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Students of this program will, in the fifth and sixth semesters, be given a choice of over 6 electives including subjects like international business and Banking and Insurance- each of which will have an entire skill based paper integrated into the theoretical content that is offered.
- In order to expose students to a practical work environment, a mandatory corporate internship in a relevant field is to be taken up in the summer following the fourth semester.
- Student seminars, workshops and conferences are organized through the even and odd semesters, with guest speakers who have experience in the contemporary business ecosystem.
- Bridge courses in Mathematics and Accounting are conducted to enable students from other disciplines to be seamlessly integrated into the framework.
- They will be trained in Tally, Excel and Advanced Excel to be on par with industry standards locally and in the global arena.
- Students connect meaningfully with the working world through regular field trips. These visits provide students a thorough understanding of business skills and cultural education to make a mark in the industry.
- In addition, students are encouraged to join the college clubs and take up credit certifications that range from IFRS to theatre and languages to help inculcate essential soft skills and interdisciplinary exposure.
- At SJCC, aside from academic aspirations, holistic development of a student is its highest goal. And in order to achieve this, multiple social activities are conducted over the three year course, to develop a sense of community.
Web based learning
Role Play and practical assignments
Guest lectures and seminars
Case study and presentations
Panel discussions and symposiums